3 Generations of Service
Hallowell & James Funeral Homes have been serving families in Chicago and the suburbs for over 90 years. Founded in 1923, the firm was started by a partnership between Harry D. James, Jr. and Floyd Hallowell, who operated their funeral service business alongside a furniture store in downtown LaGrange. In 1942, Hallowell & James Funeral Home opened at 40 S. Ashland Avenue in LaGrange and was the first facility in the area designed specifically for funeral services. As the surrounding community grew and demand for services increased, additional chapel space was added in 1957. In 1964, a new funeral home was opened at 1025 W. 55th Street in the LaGrange Highlands, now Countryside. This new facility featured larger chapels and parking accommodations to better serve the growing community. The development of the western suburbs prompted the building of another full service funeral home in Downers Grove in 1979. Floyd Hallowell passed away in 1962 and Harry James continued serving families and was joined by his son Richard P. James. Richard James took over ownership following his father Harry's death in 1986. Richard James passed away in 2010.
Today, Hallowell & James continues to be family owned and operated into its third generation. Richard's sons William and Thomas and daughters Dorothy (Dottie) Russell and Aileen James carry on the tradition set forth by their grandfather and father of providing caring and distinguished service to the families they have the privilege to serve.